Sunday, November 10, 2013

Don't Be Crewel

Since the beginning there
has been thread work...
Childs coat circa 1770
Dress circa 1700
Green crewel early 1700's
Historical Crewel in Green.
Wonderful example of 
different techniques.
I never get tired of
 the look.
Many different examples of
stitches.
Empress of The Eye Collection
Try to keep away 
from the obvious 
machine made if you are serious.
Very early needlework
Victoria and Albert Museum, UK
I love this chair.  
Heavier yarn look.
Such unusual colors.
Empress of The Eye Collection
This terrific room is an ode
 to textiles.
I have always loved
the white on white.
The little knots are called the
"Candlewick"
stitch.
Brunschwig and Fils
Empress of The Eye Pillow Collection
Great family portrait...
and I love the crewel sofa
as a background.









1 comment:

  1. Jane I love crewel embroidered fabrics. All of your examples are gorgeous; that sofa!!adore. I passed up a spread a few years back that I have kicked myself several times over.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Feature: "House Proud"

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10